Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Interviewing Skills: Hopefully Helpful Hints

During the last few days, I have been helping to conduct interviews for the Fall 2011 Honors Connection Mentoring program. Most of the interviews have gone very well. However, being the critic that I am, I could not help thinking of a few suggestions for potential interviewees. As always, I will begin with a disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in the field of interviewing. However, I have been on both sides of interviews several times, and I feel like I do have some decent advice to share. Spring semester always seems to be full of opportunities to interview for a job, committee, award, etc. Hopefully, the following tips (while probably common sense) will be useful to you in some way.

Think about potential questions before the interview begins.
While you can never anticipate every question that an interviewer will ask, you can certainly anticipate that several common questions will be asked in almost any interview. It is of utmost importance to think about these questions and your answers to them before any interview. What are some of these common questions?
  • Why are you interested in this position/program?
  • What relevant experience do you bring to the table?
  • What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses?
  • Talk about a time that you overcame a tough challenge.
A quick Google search would certainly reveal even more common questions. Even if none of these questions is explicitly asked, you will probably be asked a question that pertains in some way to these questions.

Dress appropriately.
This should go without saying, but you should always attempt to look your best for any interview. Many times, you will be explicitly told how to dress for a given interview (business casual, business formal, etc.). If you are not told how to dress, never be afraid to ask. If you cannot get an answer, always assume that you should wear business formal (suit and tie for men and pant/skirt suit for women).

Review your application/resume before the interview.
As a general rule, you will almost always be asked a question about something on your resume or application. I don't know how many times I have asked an interviewee for a clarification on something they wrote in an application essay only to be met with the response, "Could you remind me a bit more of what exactly I wrote?" Needless to say, that is not an acceptable response.

Try to relax.
I know that interviews can be high-pressure, and it can often be hard to remain calm, cool, and collected. However, you will give a much better impression if you are relaxed as opposed to nervous. Everyone has a different method of relaxing before a big event, and I would encourage you to figure out what works best for you. Breathing techniques, exercise (before the interview, of course), and meditation each works for some people...find what works for you!

Think of questions to ask the interviewer.
I don't think I have ever witnessed an interview that did not include an opportunity for the interviewee to ask questions. Before going to an interview, try to think of any questions that you may have about the program/job. This is an opportunity (a) for you to gain valuable information and (b) for you to impress the interviewer with your interest in the program/job.

Be real.
This may be the most important advice I have for you. If you attempt to be someone you are not, most interviewers will pick up on it quickly. We all know someone who constantly pretends to be someone they are not...and it can be very annoying. That is certainly not an impression you want to leave.

I know I just threw a lot of information at you, but I had several tips fresh on my brain after conducting interviews all week. Last but not least, never beat yourself up if an interview does not go perfectly. None ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment