Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Major Madness: Journalism

Each Monday, we highlight a certain major here at UA. Regardless of the particular major's sanity or lack thereof, we like to call it Monday Major Madness...


In today's installment of Monday Major Madness, Honors College student Alan Blinder will be talking about his experience as a journalism major.

1)    Why did you choose your major?
For my entire life, I have been interested in people’s stories, and no matter what beat one covers in journalism, we’re always reporting on people.

As cliché as it is, working as a reporter is one of the best jobs in the world because we have the frequent opportunity to witness extraordinary events and talk with people who impact change and those who live with the effects of those changes. Sometimes, our reporting, though objective, helps to right wrongs and to shape policies by illuminating the truth.

Few journalists will become millionaires, but I console myself knowing that I’ve had priceless experiences as a reporter. From traveling with the president of the United States (and learning that a motorcade is the best way to traverse Washington) to standing on the sidelines of the national championship game to interviewing civil rights legends, world leaders and a town librarian in rural Alabama, I’ve formed some incredible memories. And it was all because I was a reporter.

2)    What are your career plans?
With the rise of digital media, journalism is a challenging industry. However, I have my sights set on covering national politics someday for a major newspaper. In the immediate future, though, I’m planning to find a job where one is available. Until our industry finds a better business model, recent graduates will have to be willing to take just about any job.

I do think, though, that I’ll be a strong candidate for a job because I worked at The Crimson White, including a productive stint as managing editor, and served a number of internships at a variety of outlets. I’ve interned everywhere ranging from a trade publication to the Washington bureau of the Houston Chronicle and the San Francisco Chronicle. Professional preparation, my mentors tell me, will be the key to success in my job search. Moral of the story: Don’t let four years of college go to waste.

3)    What has been your favorite class for your major so far?
I earned course credit for my internships, and I enjoyed that work the most because it put me in the professional world of daily deadline reporting with tough, smart editors. (A good editor can transform your newsgathering and writing skills.)

As for a favorite course at UA, I’ve enjoyed depth reporting and beat reporting. In beat reporting (JN315), students select a beat at the start of the semester, develop sources and write a number of stories relating to that beat. For my class, I chose the race beat, which I found to be a powerful, moving experience. Covering race also allowed me to learn a great deal more about Alabama and its heritage.

I’m currently enrolled in depth reporting (JN411), which presently requires students to write four stories of significant length. My professor wants to change the course name to “centerpiece reporting” because the stories we write are the types of pieces one sees as the centerpiece on A1. The professor, a former editor of The Tuscaloosa News, also encourages us to submit our stories for publication, further bolstering our portfolios.

4)    How many hours a week do you spend working on major-related activities?
 That’s a hard calculation to make because a journalism major who will be successful after graduation is one who spends a lot of time on professional development activities, whether required for class or not.

This semester, for example, I’m interning at The Tuscaloosa News, taking two journalism courses (not counting the credit I’ll receive for my internship) and covering the midterm elections for Hearst Newspapers, the parent company of the Houston Chronicle, the San Antonio Express-News, the San Francisco Chronicle and Hearst News Service, which distributes content to more than 600 newspaper partners worldwide.

So, all told, I spend a lot of time on my work. But I still have ample time for other activities. (I’m writing this after taking a few days to travel to Tennessee to attend the game in Knoxville and to deliver a speech in Memphis on behalf of UA.)

5)    Any other advice?
Don’t be one of those people who fail to take advantage of opportunities, especially during the summer. Serve as an intern at multiple outlets (a good networking opportunity, too) and pitch ideas to your local newspaper. Also, work at The Crimson White. Contrary to what some people might say, it’s a good newspaper, an invaluable experience and it will teach you a lot about reporting.

Also, never forget that UA’s journalism department has produced some fine reporters, including Christi Parsons, a White House correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, who has served as a mentor to me and other journalism students at UA. The department’s faculty is full of fantastic people who are willing to help at every turn, but only if you ask.

After all, isn’t asking (questions, for help, etc.) what journalism is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment