Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Major Madness: Political Science

Each Monday, we highlight a certain major here at UA. Regardless of the particular major's sanity or lack thereof, we like to call it Monday Major Madness...

It's quite the rainy Monday in Tuscaloosa.
 In today's installment of Monday Major Madness, Honors College student Annie Ostrow talks about her experience as a political science major.

1) Why did you choose your major?
Since probably my sophomore year of high school, I have been interested in the politics of how the world works. I was very involved in Model United Nations and Youth in Government in high school, and took every history and current events class offered. Understanding and dissecting the problems of the world have been what has always piqued my interest. Political Science, in short, is a study of how the world, our nation, our state, and our towns interact with each other. In my opinion, since government touches everyone in one way or another, it is imperative that we study and understand it.

2) What are your career plans?
Upon graduation, I plan to enter a PhD program in Political Science focusing on International Relations. Upon completion of my PhD, I will either remain in academia, teaching hopefully at a large research university, or will join one of the government intelligence agencies to work as an intelligence analyst. I am still deciding my specific career path based upon my research experience and a possible summer internship in Washington D.C. this summer. Hopefully, further experiences in the field of Political Science will help to narrow my career plans further.

3) What has been your favorite class (required for your major) so far?
My favorite classes in the Political Science department have been in the area of International Relations. Both International Conflict (PSC 442) and American Foreign Policy (PSC 413) have been by far the most interesting classes that I have taken in college. Dr. Doug Gibler, the professor who teaches both of these classes, has a unique way of linking theory and real world examples that makes you look forward to each and every class. I have learned more about the realm of international relations during these two classes than I have in any other class.

4) How many hours per week do you spend working on major-related activities?
I am not going to lie to you and say that Political Science is easy. It requires a large amount of reading on sometimes very complex and specific cases that sometimes I need to read a few times to understand. It is difficult to determine exactly how much time I spend on my Political Science classes because the reading varies. Before tests, I usually spend a few nights re-reading all of the assigned articles for the test which can take hours. I do, however, still have time to be involved in many other things; I just had to learn how to manage my time well.

5) Anything else you would like to share?
If you are interested in politics or current world events, try a Political Science class. There are many different areas of the major including International Relations, Comparative Politics, American Politics, and Political Theory that could pique your interest. Our Political Science department has a wealth of faculty who are experts in their field who can help you narrow down your interests. Schedule a meeting with them; they are a great resource.

Also, get involved in research if you can. In today's graduate school environment, research is something on your application that sets you apart. Not only does it help with applications, it can also help narrow down your interests in the field. If you find a faculty member that you are really interested in, look into his or her research and determine if that might be something that you would like to be involved in. Then, don't be afraid to ask; the worst that could happen is that he or she says no. If she says yes, research could be something that defines your college experience like it has mine.

There is a place for anyone who is interested in Political Science; you just need to be willing to have an open mind and try it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment